Frequently Asked Questions

 his page provides the answers to some of the questions we are asked on a frequent basis. Please feel free to contact our offices by phone or email if you have any questions about the Division of Police.

Select the Plus (+) sign next to the question to view the answer. 

How do I file a police report?

1) You can file a police report by contacting our dispatch center at 670-7200, select Option 1; or 2) Submit a Report Online or 3) Visit our office at 39 South 4th Street, Newark. Once you have told us you want to file a report, a police officer will be assigned.

How to I get a copy of a police report and are there any costs involved?

You can request a copy of a police report by either 1) visiting our records office at 39 South 4th Street or 2) submitting a request for a report using our online request form. Effective April 21, 2014 our records department is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.   Records is closed on Saturday and Sunday and major holidays.

Copy fee schedule:

Incident reports:               Free for first 25 pages, $0.05 per page after 25.

Crash reports:                  $4.00 per report.                    

All fees must be paid in cash or by check prior to mailing or emailing of any reports.  Make checks payable to:  Newark Division of Police    

If I file a police report, will I have to go to court?

If your report involves a criminal act of which you are either the victim or a witness having observed the crime or have first hand knowledge you may be asked to testify in a courtroom before a judge or jury.  Many times it is necessary to hear the words of the actual victim or a witness for justice to prevail.

Where do I pay my traffic citation?

You can pay your traffic citation at the Licking County Municipal Clerk of Court Office.  It is located on the 3rd floor of the Newark City building at 40 West Main Street.  We do not accept payments for fines at the police department.  If you have any questions please contact the Clerks office, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 740-349-6727.

Where do I pay my parking ticket?

Again you would pay your parking ticket at the Licking County Municipal Clerk of Court Office.  It is located on the 3rd floor of the Newark City building at 40 West Main Street.  You may also mail your payment, with a copy of your ticket, to the Clerk's office. 

I need to speak with a particular police officer, how to I reach him/her?

If you need to speak to a specific officer you may call 740-670-7200, select Option #1 and request to leave a message for that officer.  Please remember that our officers are not available on a 24 hour, 7 day per week basis. Many of them are not on station even when they are on duty as they are responding to citizen calls for help or patrolling the city.  Therefore the officer you wish to speak to may not return your call immediately. You will be advised of his/her next scheduled available day and time.

How do I report a non-emergency problem?

We have many ways that you may report a non-emergency problem.  This website is a perfect example.  Report filed electronically will be forwarded to a pre-assigned mailbox which is checked regularly by the appropriate NPD personnel.  You may also call 740-670-7200, make your selection from the menu items and, in many cases, speak directly to a person who can assist you.

Where is the police department located?

The Newark Division of Police is located at 39 South 4th Street.  There is on street parking available in the vicinity as well as a private parking lot which is located across South 4th Street south of the police building. 

I need to submit fingerprints for a work application.  What do I need to do?

The Newark Division of Police provides only electronic fingerprinting.  These are sent to either the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCII), the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) or both. The cost for a BCII check only is $25.00.  For and FBI check only the cost is $35.00.  The cost for both is $60.00.  Those wishing to be fingerprinted for work related issues may call 740.670.7200, select option 3 and schedule an appointment.

This fingerprinting service will be available during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Results from these submissions take approximately 4 to 5 working days.  If you require inked fingerprinting please contact the Licking County Sheriff's Office Civil Division at 740-670-5541

How do I arrange a tour of the Police facility for my school or community group?

We are very proud of our new facility which opened in May of 2005.  Tours will be provided by appointment.  Please contact 740-670-7200 and select option 6 and request a date and time.  We will need to know the number of persons, approximate age range and type of group to better provide for the best possible experience.

How do we start a Blockwatch Program?

1) Contact the Newark Division of Police Patrol Commander at 740 349-1501. A Neighborhood Impact Unit officer will contact you to assist with helpful suggestions. 2) Talk with your neighbors to determine who would be willing to support a Block Watch Program. 3) Visit established Community Block Watch Programs to aid in forming your chapter. Remember a successful Neighborhood Watch Program relies on residents who are committed to the safety and security of the community.

Can I get a copy of a 9-1-1 call?

Telephone calls that are processed through the Licking County 9-1-1 Center are public record.  You may contact the Center and request a copy of the specific call that you desire.  Further you can contact our division and request a copy of any call that was received in our communication center.  As this process takes time to generate, we do not prepare recordings in advance. You may request any recorded call simply by forwarding your request via email to Your request will be prepared and emailed to you within 7 to 10 working days. 

How do I get a vehicle back after it has been impounded?

If your vehicle has been impounded you will need to come to our department, located at 39 South 4th Street, to retrieve it.  You MUST bring a pictured ID, or non-pictured ID with a recently issued traffic citation and proof of ownership of the vehicle with you in order for us to process your vehicle. Please remember that in some cases the vehicle will not be immediately available due to statue requirements.  If further information call 740.670.7200 and select Option #2.  A courteous Public Safety officer will assist you. 

I bought an item from a pawn shop.  How can I be sure it is not stolen?

Unfortunately pawn shop records are no longer directly available to law enforcement agencies.  If an item is purchase from any individual or shop you may contact your local law enforcement agency and ask if the item you have purchased has been reported stolen.  Of course any identifying numbers and information will be helpful in finding the information within the agency records system.

How do I report a crime that has happened many years ago?

Depending on the crime, a statue of limitations may exist.  If you have been a victim of a crime, or have knowledge of any crime, please contact us or your local law enforcement agency immediately.

There are people speeding through my neighborhood frequently.  How do I get help in slowing these vehicles down?

Speeding vehicles have been an issue since vehicles were invented. Violations of posted limits occur on every street, boulevard, road, highway and interstate every minute of every day.  The Newark Division of Police have put into place several means by which to combat this problem. If you are aware of a traffic ordinance violation, you may call 740-670-7200 select Option #1 and advise our communications officer of the problem.  You may also report the issue via this website.  Simply click here and complete the Traffic Problem report.